10x Genomics Begins Shipments of Visium Spatial Gene Expression Solution
The Visium Spatial Gene Expression Solution is the first of multiple assays planned for the company’s new
While single cell analysis, which is enabled by 10x Genomics’ Next GEM technology, gives researchers the ability to see what is inside a cell, the
“When we acquired Spatial Transcriptomics last year, it was with the belief our two teams could improve the resolution, scale and workflow in spatial genomics to rapidly accelerate our understanding of biology,” said
10x Genomics’ Visium Spatial Gene Expression Solution represents a significant improvement in resolution over the prior offering from Spatial Transcriptomics for spatial molecular profiling. The solution equips scientists in many areas of biology, including oncology and neuroscience, with the following:
- Ability to survey hundreds of thousands of cells in a tissue section simultaneously using total mRNA spatial gene expression analysis
- Five times more spots within a capture area (5000) than the prior offering from Spatial Transcriptomics allowing researchers to map gene expression to tissue architecture with high spatial resolution
- Reduction in the time involved to perform an assay from three days to one day over the previous offering
- Extremely high sensitivity capable of yielding at least 100,000+ UMI's and thousands of genes per spot
- Intuitive software for automated processing of
Visiumdata as well as providing streamlined data analysis tools for both bioinformatics novices and experts
- The only comprehensive kitted solution available on the market allowing researchers to perform gene discovery from total mRNA analysis
"Spatial genomics opens up new possibilities for bringing microscopic anatomy into the realm of RNA sequencing.
Weinberger added, "We believe this technology answers important questions in neurology and neuroscience, and could also reveal novel molecular insights into other common human diseases with abnormal pathology."
The Visium Spatial Gene Expression Solution is shipping to customers today. To learn more, please visit https://www.10xgenomics.com/solutions/spatial-gene-expression/.
Source: 10x Genomics, Inc.